Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ode to Mary Shelley

I entered this world by your hands
Your greatest triumph! You created man!

One glance at me, into my yellow eyes
Your pride turned to fear, love to despise

You’ve lived a life of privilege and education
The death of your mother led to my creation

You toiled and slaved up in that tower
Until the clock rang that fateful hour

I entered this world by your hands
Your greatest triumph almost went as planned

One look at me into my yellow eyes
And your love turned to fear, pride to despise


You abandoned me that fateful day
A choice you made and forever will pay

While you recovered from my horrid existence
I had no one to trust, fled societal resistance

This lifetime I have spent alone
Yet each part of me once had a life of its own

What choice did I have? Can’t you understand!
Look what I am – a monster – not man!

No one to talk to, to touch, to hold
Do I have a soul or is my heart doomed to be cold.

Revenge is mine for all this pain
It is your turn to play my game

First your brother, a child so young
I held his throat and there he hung

Next your cousin, framed for the murder of your brother
Yet deep down you blamed him for the death of your mother

I only asked you to create me a friend
You chose to destroy her near the end

In a fit of madness, you ripped her apart at her seams
You decided right then to give up on your dreams

Eye for an eye, you lived your life
Surprised you were not when I murdered your wife

Living alone, as I have done
Tortured, condemned, like father like son.

No comments:

Post a Comment